is the representative street of Lodz. One of the longest shopping streets in Europe has a length of approximately 4.2 km and runs longitudinally in a straight line, between Plac Wolności and Plac Niepodległości. From the beginning, this street was a central axis, around which the city expanded, and its development spontaneously gave the city center its current shape. Initially, the street was mainly a communication route, but with time, it became the “city’s visiting card”, a center of entertainment and commerce, a focus point of the entire life of the growing industrial agglomeration. Currently, approximately 100 pubs and restaurants are situated along the longest pedestrian street in Poland, in addition to shops. In the summer season, colorful restaurant gardens encourage to relax. Everyone can ride a rickshaw or take the “trambus” by the street and see the monuments of, for example, Trzej Fabrykanci (Three Manufacturers), Ławeczka Tuwima (Tuwim’s Bench) or Pomnik Łodzian Przełomu Tysiącleci (Monument of Citizens of Lodz at the Turn of the Millennium) – 12,859 blocks with engraved names. When visiting “Pietryna” (ul. Piotrkowska), one can look at the beautiful facades of the houses. Website: www.piotrkowska.pl
a vast district, which has survived almost unaffected since the period of the flowering of industrial Lodz. In the 19th century, Karol W. Scheibler – one of the biggest manufacturers in Lodz, built an industrial and residential complex, a type of city inside the city. Its urban arrangement and architecture were modeled on English industrial settlements. Księży Młyn is composed of systematically arranged and architecturally uniform factory buildings, a housing estate, mansions of the owners and villas of directors with gardens, as well as streets and railway sidings, a school, two hospitals, a fire brigade depot, a gas-works and a factory club. The quarter is located between ul. Tymienieckiego, Przędzalniana, Fabryczna, Kilińskiego.
a center of entertainment, culture and commerce. A revitalization project, unique at the Polish and European scale, combining modern forms and architecture with the restored 19th century buildings of the former factory of Izrael Poznański. 20 ha of surface include, among others, a Market with colorful fountains – a place, which hosts festivals, concerts and outdoor events, Muzeum Fabryki (Museum of the Factory), Muzeum Sztuki ms2 (ms2 Museum of Art), restaurants, over 300 shops, discos, a bowling alley, a climbing wall and a multiplex cinema.
is the largest manufacturer’s residence in Poland. There are various styles to be found in its architecture. An Art Nouveau staircase leads to a neo-baroque dinning room and a ballroom. The Palace is home to Muzeum Miasta Łodzi (Museum of the City of Lodz), in which one can become familiar with the history and culture of the 19th century industrial metropolis. The permanent exhibition “Panteon Wielkich Łodzian” (“The Pantheon of the Famous Citizens of the City of Lodz”) presents the profiles of prominent artists associated with the city: Wł. Reymont, J. Tuwim, J. Kosiński, K. Dedecius and A. Tansman. The memorabilia left after A. Rubinstein were assembled in the world’s only gallery dedicated to the famous pianist.
is an underground, oval water tank, built in 1926 inorder to wash the sewage system in the city center. As one of the first sections of the urban sewage system, it was designed by William H. Lindley, a British engineer. Plac Wolności can be walked around under the ground through a corridor of the canal, made of red brick – it has a length of 142 mand is 178 cmhigh, and 1.5 mwide. The today’s interior design of “Dętka” is based on the presentation of archival photographs and documents relating to the construction of Lodz’s canals.
the factory was built in the years 1835-1839. Inthe complex of classical buildings, in which the first mechanical spinning-mill in Lodzwas located, one can see the tools, textile machinery, historical and contemporary textiles, as well as clothing. The Museum is the organizer of Międzynarodowe Triennale Tkaniny Artystycznej (International Triennal of the Tapestry). Within the museum, there is Skansen Łódzkiej Architektury Drewnianej (Open-Air Museum of the Lodz Wooden Architecture) presenting an example of the city’s buildings in the early 19th century.
new space of Muzeum Sztuki occupies the historic building of the 19th century spinning-mill of Izrael K. Poznański. An impressive, one of the richest collections of 20th and 21st century art was assembled on the surface of over 3,000 m2, on three floors of the building. The international Kolekcja Sztuki Nowoczesnej (Collection of Modern Art) of the group “a.r.” is the heart of the collection. It is a phenomenon at the world’s scale – in fact, it was initiated by artists themselves and created through their donations.
the palace received its final neo-Renaissance shape in 1888 (designed by E. Lilpop). Calm, balanced facade contrasts with the wealth of interiors maintained in multiple styles. Stucco decorations, painted decorations, furniture, fireplaces, furnaces, paneling, fabric for furniture covering and Venetian mosaics leave an unforgettable impression. The Museum collects exhibits related to the history of the Polish cinematography. The permanent exhibition presents devices associated with the development of film technique. Temporary exhibitions are dedicated to the history of film, contemporary Polish super-productions, as well as Polish photography and art of the media.
is located near a large park at Zdrowie. 3,500 taxa (species and varieties) of green plants were assembled within the surface of 64.1 ha, in the sections: herbaceous plant taxonomy, rock garden, biology of plants, park greenery, ornamental plants, healing plants and plants grown for industrial purposes, Polish flora, arboretum and Japanese garden. Due to the very large area with diverse habitats, the garden has also a varied fauna. We can find here a rich world of birds, counting 75 species and an interesting fauna of aquatic and terrestrial invertebrates. Flower exhibitions are held in the administrative building. Didactic classes for children and adolescents are conducted in the garden.
is the biggest Jewish necropolis in Europe. On its territory, there are approximately 180,000 tombstones. The cemetery was established in 1892. This was the burial place of Lodz’s industrialists, doctors, lawyers, artist, as well as poor Jewish people. In the central part, there are the tombs of the manufacturers: Prussak, Silberstein, Poznański, Kon, Jarociński. The so-called Ghetto Field was separated in the southern part – the burial place of some 45,000 victims of Litzmannstadt Ghetto.
Source of information: www.en.turystyczna.lodz.pl